Congratulations on your engagement! The Bible describes God’s plan for marriage as a grace for a happy life and sign of Christ’s faithful and fruitful love for his Bride, the Church. We at STA are excited for you to grow in this love and understanding. This is one of the most exciting (and hectic) seasons in your life. Let us help you get ready for more than just the wedding day. We will guide you through the preparation process. To get started, send an inquiry to Deacon Jerome Buhman at email@example.com.
We've provided some resources, forms and registration links that you'll need to get started. As always, please contact us with any questions that you may have.
THE MARRIAGE PREPARATION PROCESS
The Marriage Preparation Process is designed to help you deepen your love for one another and for the Lord Jesus. Through your preparation, you will discover your strengths, as well as areas of potential conflict, challenge, and growth.
This process includes:
- Completion of the Prenuptial Questionnaire. This document is completed with the help of a priest or deacon.
- Completion of the FOCCUS (Facilitating Open Couple Communication, Understanding, & Study) inventory with a married couple from the parish. You will be assigned a FOCCUS couple by the priest or pastoral associate.
- A Baptismal Certificate for both parties is required. Catholic certificates must have been newly issued by the parish of baptism within six months prior to the wedding.
- If your wedding is to be an interfaith marriage, the Catholic party must promise that he/ she will continue to practice their faith. This includes the responsibility of doing all in your power to have children baptized and raised as Catholics.
- Completion of a Marriage Preparation Program is required. There are currently three options available: Witness to Love, online-marriage-preparation programs, or traditional live instruction. Your priest or deacon can provide you with more information on these options when you meet to complete the prenuptial questionnaire, or additional information can be found on the diocesan website (https://www.madisondiocese.org/mp).
- The actual planning of your Nuptial Mass or Wedding Service.