As we look ahead to Holy Week and Easter, we encourage everyone to contact Terri Kopplin with your attendance plans for these liturgies. Please email Terri at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her and leave a message at 608-833-2606. The ways our worship will be different under our current health guidelines follows the schedule.
Our Holy Week Schedule:
Mass of the Lord’s Supper: Thursday, April 1, 7:00 PM (bilingual/bilingüe)
No morning Mass on 4/1
Good Friday, April 2, Liturgy of the Lord’s Passion: 1:00 PM
Servicio de Viernes Santo (in Spanish/en español): 3:30 PM
No morning Mass on 4/2
Holy Saturday, April 3
No Masses at 4:30 or 6:30 PM.
No confession on Holy Saturday.
Easter Vigil Mass: 8:00 PM (bilingual/bilingüe)
Easter Sunday, April 4
Masses at 8:00 and 10:00 AM
with overflow seating in the chapel and social hall
No confession on Easter Sunday.
Worship at St. Thomas Aquinas during Holy Week 2021
The Vatican’s Congregation for Worship has declared that we should use many of the same guidelines that were published last year. Here are differences you will notice in our Holy Week liturgies:
- Singing is still considered a “high risk” activity, so there will be no singing by the assembly.
- All congregation members and liturgical ministers must wear masks and practice social distancing.
- Capacity at liturgies will continue to be limited.
- We have recruited Servers who are all in the same “bubble” to serve the Holy Week Liturgies, and we will try to social distance the best we are able.
- We will continue to livestream all our liturgies.
- The Social Hall will be used for overflow seating if the church and chapel reach capacity. The liturgies will be livestreamed to the Social Hall, and extraordinary ministers will bring the Blessed Sacrament to people seated there.
Palm Sunday of the Lord’s Passion
- All processions are cancelled, so there will be no procession with palms on Palm Sunday. Instead, palms will be dispensed in the pews prior to each Mass.
- We will use the new drop-down screen to help the assembly participate in the “crowd” parts during the reading of the Passion on Palm Sunday.
- There will be no procession to present the blessed oils: the Oil of the Sick (Anointing of the Sick), the Oil of the Catechumen (Baptism), and the Sacred Chrism Oil (Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Orders).
- The Foot Washing ritual will be omitted.
- We will not process with the Blessed Sacrament to an Altar of Repose on Holy Thursday. Instead, we will place the Blessed Sacrament in the main tabernacle in the Sanctuary after the Holy Thursday Mass. The faithful are encouraged to take part in Eucharistic Adoration until 10:00 p.m.
- In place of the procession to venerate the wood of the cross on Good Friday, we will utilize our new drop-down screen to help us have a prayerful moment and safely venerate the cross from our pews.
- We will use the new drop-down screen to help the assembly participate in the “crowd” parts during the reading of the Passion on Good Friday.
- There will be an additional petition added to the Good Friday Intercessions for an end to the pandemic.
- Since we are still unable to offer Holy Water in the fonts, we will be offering bottles of blessed Holy Water from our Easter Vigil Mass for people to take home with them.
We realize how disappointing it is that the pandemic has affected our worship so much; however, we need to follow the Vatican’s Liturgical Guidelines to keep everyone as safe as possible.